Πέμπτη 6 Μαρτίου 2008

Macedonia by Alexander


1.)
King Phillip participated in the Olympic Games at 356 bc in horse back riding -The ancient Greek coins in the museum of Athens & elsewhere shows the win of King Phillip in the games -So if Phillip werent Greek how did he participate in the Games, since only Greeks were allowed?? And that was before he unified Greece
2.)
Polybius: "This is a sworn treaty made between us, Hannibal ... and Xenophanes the Athenian ... in the presence of all the gods who possess Macedonia and the rest of Greece." (Pol. Histories, VII, 9, 4 [Loeb, W.R. Paton])

3.)
Alexander the Great addressing the dead Hellenes after the battle of Chaeronia."Holy shadows of the dead, I'm not to blame for your cruel and bitter fate, but the accursed rivalry which brought sister nations and brother people, to fight one another. I do not feel happy for this victory of mine. On the contrary, I would be glad brothers if I had all of you standing here next to me, since we are united by the same language, the same blood and the same visions."
4.)
Arrian: "He sent to Athens three hundred Persian panoplies to be set up to Athena in the acropolis; he ordered this inscription to be attached: Alexander, son of Philip the GREEK, save the Lacedaimonians, set up these spoils from the barbarians dwelling in Asia."(Arr. I, 16, 7 [Loeb, P. A. Brunt])
5.)
Alexander to Persians:"Your ancestors invaded Macedonia and the rest of Greece and did us great harm though we had done them no prior injury;... I have been appointed hegemon of Greeks..."Arrian, Anabasis of Alexander II, 14, 4 (Loeb P.A. Brunt)Strabo: "And Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece." (Strab. VII, Frg. 9 [Loeb, H.L. Jones]) Arrian:
"For I Alexander myself am by ancient descent a Greek, and I would not willingly see Hellas change her freedom for slavery."(Herod. IX, 45, 2 [Loeb])"Tell your king (Xerxes), who sent you, how his Greek viceroy Alexander I of Macedonia has received you hospitably." (Herod. V, 20, 4 [Loeb])

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: